Cooperative Science Centers (CSC)
From left to right: ECSC Graduate Research
Students and CREST Summer Camp.
EPP currently supports four Cooperative Science Centers at Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) to advance collaborative research in the NOAA-mission sciences. The Center Director and Distinguished Scientist at each Center develop and lead key education and research activities.
NOAA provides funding to eligible MSIs, on a competitive basis, to educate, train and graduate students in NOAA mission, particularly atmospheric, oceanic, environmental, marine science, remote sensing and scientific environmental technology. The CSC goals are to:
- Educate, train and graduate students, particularly from underrepresented communities, in NOAA mission;
- Increase graduation rates of students from underrepresented minority communities in NOAA sciences;
- Impact NOAA and national Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) workforce statistics by increasing the number of graduates from underrepresented communities in NOAA sciences;
- Contribute to NOAA’s mission by strengthening and building capacity in NOAA scientific and management areas at MSIs as well as building research experience in NOAA scientific areas; and,
- Leverage NOAA funds to build the education, training and research capacity at MSIs.